Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Spring 2011 - Snow

If Fall is our favorite time to visit the Y, Estes Park, and Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP), then late Spring is certainly the most relaxing time to visit.  There isn't the anxiety that we won't see any, alright many gorgeous elk or find the most amazing golden Aspen trees.  Instead, we just enjoy what's there - often lots of snow still in the Park (RMNP) and signs of Spring all around.  It's still cool, of course (a big plus!) and there are fewer visitors in the Spring, making any kind of waiting line nonexistent. This May/June visit did not disappoint!


The snow was exceptional since RMNP had a record snowfall this year.


Sprague Lake








Bear Lake  
Our First Attempt - We decided to come back later in the week when there might be less snow & ice.

The silver lining to this decision is that for the first time in about 30 years I noticed there were actually beautiful views from the Bear Lake parking lot! I guess I thought the views began only upon entrance to Bear Lake (:  This is only one of many photos I took from the parking lot.

We returned later in the week armed with hiking poles (Jim) and crampons (me).



Jim graciously poses with his hiking pole in a hole to show us how deep the snow is.


Emily called from Washington DC!

Good thing we didn't need to use the facilities!



No comments: